January 2, 2011

RJ SAYS: Supercross, on four wheels

It was going to be a good idea. Key word being 'was'. It was going to be a good idea!

My idea was to show you what the truck racing series that I promote and race in is like. It's like Supercross, only on four wheels!

So, my plan was simple - I'd invite my good friend Lex out to the finale of the Traxxis TORC series in Las Vegas, we'd mount a camera on the hood of my race truck, and I'd show you just how rough the racing is. It would be me (a former 2 time AMA Supercross Champion) and Jeremy McGrath (best Supercross rider in history!) showing you supercross - on four wheels!

It is rough. Very rough. We bump, grind, rub, and run into each other. It's 'no-holds-barred' racing. Trucks get abused & trashed. Not only that, but the roost of dirt, mud, rocks, and @#$% that comes up in your face following another 900 horsepower truck is ... ballistic.

OK, ... the key word was "was". Lex was confident the camera he put on the hood of my truck would stay on the hood, and we'd have some great video action from practice to show you just how cool TORC is (The Off Road Championship - website http://www.torcseries.com - that's where you can see all the results from the series and more info).

I asked him again. "Are you sure that camera is going to stay mounted?" And his very confident reply was "Yeah, ... uhhhhh .... well .... I think so. Uhhh ..... I hung it up on the door of my office and hung from it. It stayed mounted there. But .... uhhhhh ..... yeah, I think it will stay mounted."

Yeah, right! It didn't stay mounted.

Last time I saw Lex, he was walking around the track looking for his camera. For about 2 hours. In the mud.

One thing I know for sure ... that camera is now part of the Las Vegas Motor Speedway Dirt Track.

So, guess what you get to see instead of that cool footage? You get to see a few photos, and a quick video of the race from Friday night. I'm number 48 in the Red Bull truck, and Jeremy is number 2 in the Monster truck. See more below. And come out to a TORC event next year! You'll have a great time!

RJ


Here is the grand experiment - camera is mounted on my truck's hood. Ready to go. But not for long!


Jeremy McGrath inside his truck. Ready to go out and roost!


That's me in practice. If you look closely, you'll see the camera is actually still on the hood! Racing these trucks is very much like supercross, except we have an extra 2 wheels, and an extra 850 horsepower.


Jeremy getting some air over one of the jumps


Jeremy leading me in Friday night's main event.


Jeremy McGrath


That's me getting a little air over one of the jumps on the course

In this video is this corner where the mud on top was incredibly slick. So we couldn't accelerate like we wanted to, or we'd slide right into the wall. I'm number 48 in the Red Bull truck and Jeremy is number 2 in the Monster truck.

{jvideo id=236 height=360 width=480 autoPlay=0}

Related Stories John Kocinski Related News Gary Haslam Source Videos Francis Hollebecq Related Shots Anthony West

Source: http://www.supercross.com/rj-says/supercross-on-four-wheels

No comments:

Post a Comment